Pages

Friday, September 24, 2010

To Doula or not ?

I am seriously contemplating using a birthing doula to help Jason and I through our first childbirth. I know of a friend and a family member that both raved about their birth experience and how the doula was instrumental in helping them. Below are the most common benefits of using a doula. I'm very curious about other's experiences (good or bad) with a doula.

Benefits of working with a birth or postpartum doula include:
- 60% reduction in the rate of epidural use
- 50% reduction in cesarean rates
- 40% reduction in the need for forceps
- 25% reduction in the length of labor
- higher breastfeeding rates
- more opportunity to spend time bonding with baby
- easier transition into parenthood
(more postpartum benefits my cousin Amy Olsen sent me)
- feel more secure and cared for
- are more successful in adapting to new family dynamics
- have greater self-confidence
- have less postpartum depression
- increased bonding with baby

1 comment:

  1. I have never had a doula but I did have my mom and friend there with Brandon and I. It was great to have them with us they made everything very calm and relaxing. My mom also helped me with the nurse that I was not fond of. Anyhow I think you should do whatever is going to make you comfortable. The only thing I would say is that if there is a person that can do almost the same things as a doula then go with that because then that will not cost you a lot. The most important thing is just to make sure you are comfortable.

    ReplyDelete